What causes those pesky circles?
The most common reason for darkness under the eye area is because the skin has become extra thin. Thinning can be caused from long-term, overuse of Retinol products, genetics and/or loss of collagen from aging. Thinning allows you to see the blood vessels under the skin. Some people can also have deep inset bone structure that can cause a shadow under the eye making darkness appear. As we age, some people can get what is referred to as “leaky vessels”. This is when the blood leaks from the capillaries and can cause under eye darkness because of the excessive blood.
What are other causes of dark circles? Does lack of sleep play a role?
Genetics can make you prone to dark circles particularly because of thin skin under the eyes. Some people can develop brown spots (hyperpigmentation) under the eyes from sun damage and genetics. Some people, even if they have had little sun exposure simply have more melanin activity.
How does insufficient sleep affect the skin?
Insufficient sleep doesn’t cause dark circles, but can certainly make them appear worse. Lack of sleep makes the skin look dull and lifeless and blood vessels under the skin can become more apparent.
JEANA’S SOLUTIONS FOR DARK CIRCLES
Get 7-8 hours of sleep a night.
There is no doubt that getting enough sleep every night can offer many skin benefits. In regards to dark circles, when you are lacking sleep, your body’s circulatory system is compromised and you get stagnant blood in the vessels under the eyes because it hasn’t properly drained. As for the face, a lack of sleep makes the skin look pale and tired. Bottom line: when you are tired, you look tired!
Massage eye cream in circular motions.
Use gentle circular motions, when applying eye cream. This will stimulate stagnant blood flow.
Use a skin lightener to fade brown spots.
If you have brown spots in the under eye area, use a skin lightener such as Vitamin C. The gentlest form of Vitamin C is Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate(MAP). MAP is a proven melanin suppressor/lightener. Le Mieux Vita C Serum is our most effective serum that contains MAP. While it is not an immediate fix, most people can start to see the brightening effect 4-6 weeks.
Vitamin C can aid in capillary-strengthening repair since it’s a vaso-constrictor and can help with leaky vessels that contribute to accumulation of blood under the eyes.
Use a good concealer.
That’s certainly the quickest way to remove dark circles! My favorite is Jane Iredale Enlighten. This tint of this concealer cancels the bruise color of dark circles. Enlighten also contains ingredients that reduce puffiness under the eyes!
Use skin-thickening ingredients like Peptides.
Collagen-building, skin-thickening ingredients such as Peptides can help to keep the skin thick. Peptides support the tissue renewal process which can help to thicken the skin making underlying blood vessels less noticeable. Long-term use of gentle Retinol products can help, but if used on those with thin skin, it can make the skin more translucent.
Get your Peptide and Vitamin C in one very effective serum
Skin Script Peptide Eyes Serum for Dark Circles and Puffiness combines the brightening ability of vitamin C with power of peptides. This serum uses peptides to alleviate dark circles and green tea to reduce inflammation under the eye while increasing metabolism of cells.
Skin Script Peptide Eye Serum Benefits
- Alleviates dark circles
- Encourages proper moisture levels/plumps eye tissues
- Improves circulation
- Soothing and calming
- Tightens and firms, reduces wrinkle depth
- Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7 and Palmitoyl Oligopeptide – Works with matrikines to target the causes of dark circles, decreases under eye coloration by 45%
- Acetyl Hexapeptide-8– Pigment reducing agent, lessens visible discoloration around the eye tissue, inhibits tyrosinase and blocks the production of Melanin
- L Ascorbic Acid – Improves skin elasticity, decreases wrinkles by stimulating collagen synthesis, and suppresses cutaneous pigmentation.
- Phytic Acid – Natural antioxidant, extracted frrm wheat and rice and has a powerful chelating effect on iron.
- Tartaric Acid – Improves skin texture and tone.
- Hesperidin– Previously known as Vitamin K, Improves blood flow and circulation, rich in proanthocyanidins which strengthen capillaries and maintain collagen and elastine integrity
- Caffeine– Stimulates detoxification, limits fatty deposits and milia that forms in eye tissue, promotes healthy detoxification
- Spintrap (PNB)- Entraps reactive oxygen species to restore proper chemical structure and spin to destructive molecules, limits lipid peroxidation and free radical damage
Directions for Use
After cleansing and toning apply under the eye morning and night. Follow with your favorite eye cream or a moisturizer.
I am super excited about Rhonda Allison’s new Minus 10 Collection. In particular, I am in love with Rhonda’s new Age less Serum! I have been using Age less in combination with C Peptide Complex for the last 6 months and I am seeing very nice results. At 52, I am noticing that my expression lines are trying very hard to become deep crevices. The lines around my eyes and lips are becoming more pronounced. Within 3 weeks of adding Age less to my daily regimen, my expression lines were softer and faded quickly when I relaxed my face. After using the first bottle, I waited 6 weeks to start another bottle. Within a few weeks I saw the old intensity returning and was ready to purchase another bottle.
Here is my current regimen. Because I believe, strongly, in this routine, I am making it available to all of my clients at a very special price and with bonus free products. With the purchase of this kit, you will have everything that you need to turn the clocks back!
Cleanse: Milk Plus Cleanser
Apply cleanser to dry skin. With moist hands or wet fingertips work into a mild lather for 2 to 3 minutes. Use our Lush Cloth to thoroughly remove cleanser. Be sure skin is dry and squeaky clean. Most people under cleanse and over moisturize! Be thorough.
Correct: 1 to 2 pumps of C Peptide Complex (optional, not included in kit)
Nourish: 1 pump of AGE less
Moisturize: 1 to 2 pumps of Amino Peptide Moisturizer
Protect: 1 pump of Sheer Tint Finisher
Cleanse: Milk Plus Cleanser
Correct: 1 pump ChronoPeptide A
Nourish: 2 pumps Peptide 38 (apply to face and neck)
Moisturize: 1 pump of Amino Peptide Moisturizer boosted with a few drops of Drop of Essence Hydration Drops
Eyes: 1 tiny drop of Eye & Lip Renew applied to lip lines and crow’s feet
Rhonda Allison Milk Plus Cleanser – enriched with foaming peptide and probiotics
Lush Microfiber Wash Cloth – reaches deep into the pore to remove makeup and debris
Rhonda Allison AGE less – brightens and provides a pro-youth radiance and softening of lines
Rhonda Allison C Peptide Complex – antioxidant support boosted with collagen rejuvenating peptides brightens skin and softens fine lines
Rhonda Allison Eye & Lip Renew – reduces puffy eyes and crow’s feet
Rhonda Allison Sheer Tint Finisher – protects with a hint of color
Rhonda Allison Drop of Essence Hydration Drops – hydrates and slows the signs of aging
Rhonda Allison Peptide 38 – firms skin and tightens crepey neck
Rhonda Allison ChronoPeptide A – reduces appearance of wrinkles and sundamage
Rhonda Allison Amino Peptide Moisturizer – potent blend of peptide complexes, vitamins and enriched moisture binding ingredients
Minus 10 Collection – Rhonda Allison’s most avant-garde, pro-youth collection offers skin a magical re-youthing transformation that melts away the years!
One of my favorite masks is the Astara Violet Flame Mask:
- Why this mask is essential to your healthy skin regime:
- It’s a professional strength enzyme treatment.
- It visibly firms and tightens the skin.
- It stimulates and exfoliates the skin.
- It smooths and softens the texture of your skin.
- It prepares your skin for a perfect makeup application.
Here are my favorite tips and tricks for using this Mask:
- Treat your skin to the Violet Flame Enzyme Mask before your makeup application and it will leave your skin with a smooth canvas.
- Mask with a 50/50 blend of the Violet Flame Enzyme Mask and Blue Flame Purification Mask. Apply steam for 10 to 15 minutes. Victory over problematic skin!
- Boost exfoliation with the Astara Mini Microderm Home Kit. Apply Violet Flame Enzyme Mask in a thin layer to entire face, neck and décolleté. Allow to dry. Dispense a dime’s worth of Daily Refining Scrub onto wet hands, and begin gently massaging moist scrub into mask. Add more water as necessary. Using a circular motion, continue to massage gently until mask has been completely moistened and mixed with scrub, about one minute. Soak a washcloth in warm water, lightly wring out and apply to face, neck and décolleté holding in place for ten seconds before removing mask/scrub mixture.
- Beautiful scent, beautiful color, beautiful product for a beautiful gift for Valentines Day!
You are never too young to invest in a future of beautiful skin.
Brown spots, hyperpigmentation, large pores, wrinkles and breakouts are common skin conditions that can be very aggravating. At Art of Skin Care our specialty is skin transformation, so we are excited to offer Bio Brasion Treatments in our Redding, California skin care studio. This exclusive procedure is the next generation of microdermabrasion and is effective for all skin types, including those with acne, sun damage, rosacea and sensitive skin.
What is Bio Brasion?
Bio Brasion is a crystal-free, low-suction, abrasion that uses both wet and dry technology. Unique, interchangeable tips are slowly passed across the skin’s surface up to three time to painlessly lift off the outermost dry, damaged layers of the skin, revealing the healthy tissue beneath.
Step 1: The first pass over the skin is a peel. AHA/BHA (mild acid) hydra foam is applied to the skin to effectively dissolve and loosen superficial dry skin cells.
Step 2: The second pass is used to target specific areas of concern. It features a customized spray serum that is applied to the skin to penetrate corrective ingredients deep within the dermis where they will be most effective.
Step 3: Buffing is the final abrasion pass and it gives a final polish to freshly exfoliated skin.
For those needing more exfoliation or a peel, we can do a mild chemical skin peel customized for your skin type to provide additional results.
Five Types of Bio Brasion Treatments Available
Bio Brasion Clearing Treatment (reduces acne, blemishes and scarring)
For acne prone skin, this treatment features a salicylic acid peel to help remove bacteria, reducing blemishes and clearing clogged pores.
Bio Brasion Brightening Treatment (helps lift stubborn discoloration)
Featuring a vitamin C peel to exfoliate and promote more even-toned clarity by lifting discoloration caused by sun damage, age and hormones.
Bio Brasion Sensitive Treatment (smoothes irritated skin)
Ideal for red, sensitive skin types—this soothing treatment features a gentle lactic acid peel to promote smoother skin.
Bio Brasion Anti-Aging Treatment (boosts collagen to tighten skin)
For age prevention, this treatment features a peptide and acid peel to both exfoliate and deliver firming peptide ingredients to keep skin looking smooth and youthful.
Bio Brasion Hydrating Treatment (smoothes and improves moisture levels)
To improve moisture levels deep within the skin, this treatment features a blend of glycolic and lactic acids to bring healthy, plumper skin cells to the surface, revealing a dewy, glowing complexion.
30 min Bio Brasion treatment $110
70 min Bio Brasion with Facial or Peel $150
Series of 3, 30 min sessions $300
Series of 6, 30 min Sessions $570
***INTRODUCTORY OFFER: 30 min treatment for $75 until January 15, 2015. That’s a savings of $35! One per person at this price.
What You Need
- Glass or ceramic container (glazed inside, so it doesn’t leak) with a narrow opening at the top. I decided to try this beautiful vase a friend bought for me.
- Essential oils of your choice. I love Eve Taylor’s award winning oils.
- I’ve heard of using mineral oil as your “base,” but I wanted to avoid petroleum-based products. Sweet almond oil or safflower oil are other options. But I was intrigued when I read about using vodka and water, mostly because I have some in the freezer and it won’t leave a greasy mess if it gets knocked over. Though I’ve also read that vodka will evaporate more quickly than something totally oil-based. It’s your call.
- Reeds or bamboo skewers. You can find replacement reeds online pretty inexpensively, but if you have bamboo skewers in the kitchen or craft room, just trim off the pointy ends before use.
- If you’re using an oil base, you will want to use 30% essential oil to 70% base oil. You can experiment with the percentages to see what works best for you.
- If you’re using the vodka and water mixture, you will want to add approximately 12 drops of essential oils with 1/4 cup of water then add a little of vodka (the vodka helps bind the oils to the water).
- Pour the mixture into your receptacle and place one end of the reeds or skewers into the solution, allowing it to saturate the reeds. Then take them out, and place the opposite ends into the bottle. You will want to rotate which ends are in the scent solution about once a week.
Things to Keep in Mind
The smaller the neck on the bottle, the slower the liquid will evaporate. I’m about to learn how much more quickly mine will evaporate with the wider opening of my vase.
Experiment with different essential oil combinations until you find one or two you really like. You can then increase your batches and keep them in sealed containers (like a canning jar) to save prep time later on.
Because we are heading into the cold and flu season I chose the Eve Taylor Winter Diffuser Blend. Winter blend is the perfect solution for chills and ills. Tunisian Rosemary and the minty Eucalyptus have a cooling effect, whilst the benefits of French alpine Lavender soothe and comfort. Ravansara, regarded as a relatively new essential oil by many, enhances the blend with a reinforcing warm crispness.Madagascan Palmarosa adds a note of greenery, clearing the mind and stimulating the senses.
When temperatures cool, moisture content in the air decreases, which often means we need to boost the hydration in our skin care regimens.
Common sense would tell us to switch to a heavy moisturizer and scale back on cleansing, but it’s just the opposite that actually helps maintain the skin’s moisture barrier. This time of year, proper cleansing is essential (it allows the nourishing ingredients to actually penetrate the skin rather than pile on top) and I usually recommend clients opt for a nourishing, hydrating serum rather than a heavy cream.
One ingredient that is top on my list this time of year is Rhonda Allison’s Grape Seed Hydrating Serum. Not only does it deliver a potent dose of antioxidants, it also hydrates, fights free-radical damage, protects capillary walls, and provides anti-inflammatory support. Who would have thought such a simple serum could possess so much strength?
WHAT IT IS
Grape Seed Hydratig Serum contains Vitis Vinifera seeds, or grape seeds. The marvelous little seeds contain proteins, fats, carbohydrates, polyphenols and proanthocyanidins, which all work together to promote skin health, rejuvenation and protect it from potential damage. The oil is simply a derivative of the crushed grape seeds.
The proanthocyanidins found in the oil refer to a larger class of polyphenols called flavanols, similar to flavonoids. Grape seed oil is also considered an essential fatty acid, containing linoleic and oleic acids, which provide anti-inflammatory, moisturizing and healing support.
HOW IT WORKS
Grape seed oil produces a number of benefits to the skin primarily because of its potent polyphenol and antioxidant content, which has shown to be more powerful than vitamins C and E. This combination makes it an effective free-radical scavenger.
The proanthocyanidins in grape seeds, which, as I noted are a class of polyphenols, work to protect capillary walls, inhibit the enzymes that break down collagen and thus promote skin elasticity. Studies have also revealed grape seed extracts to accelerate new tissue growth, and stimulate cell renewal by boosting production of vascular epidermal growth factor and increasing protective antibacterial compounds in wounds.
GRAPE SEED OIL IS FOUND IN 3 OF OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS
Grape seed oil and extracts can be found in Grape Seed Hydrating Serum, which is wonderful this time of year if only for its aroma – cinnamon and clove! The ingredient is also in Blushed Wine Gel, a firming and toning moisture gel that leaves skin with an iridescent glow, and our Grape Seed Parfait Mask, which moisturizes, strengthens and soothes the skin.
Grape seed oil is beneficial any time of year, but during the winter months it will help you stave off dry, dull skin.